Skip to main content

Have you seen a Mpafako?

Conrad Kottak's international edition of Anthropology: the exploration of human diversity is my bible this week. Here's part of the glossary. The 13th item on the list is mentioned on the author's account of his study on the economy and social life of the Betsileo people in Madagascar.



1. adapids early (Eocene) primate family ancestral to lemurs and lorises




2. advocacy view the belief that precisely because anthropologists are experts on human problems and social change, and because they study, understand, and respect cultural views, they should make policy affecting people




3. affinals relatives by marriage, whether of lineals (e.g., son's wife) or collaterals (e.g., sister's husband)




4. agnates members of the same patrilineal descent group



5. ahimsa Hindu doctrine that prohibits harming life, and thus cattle slaughter



6. allele a biochemical difference involving a particular gene



7. Allen's rule Rule stating that the relative parts of protruding body parts (such as ears, tails, bills, fingers, toes and limbs) tend to increase in warmer climates



8. anatomically modern humans (AMHs) including the Cro Magnons of Europe and the older fossils of Skhul and Qafzeh; continue through the present



9. apical ancestor in a descent group, the individual who stands at the apex, or top of the common genealogy



10. Anthropoidea one of two suborders of primates; includes monkeys, apes and humans



11. arboreal theory Theory that the primates evolved by adapting to life high up in the trees, where visual abilities would have been favored over the sense of smell, and grasping hands and feet would have been used for movement along branches



12. archaic state nonidustrial state



13. mpakafo the Malagasy vampire




Megan and Janet host

Click here for more lists / Header by Samulli

Comments

  1. Never heard about this Hazel
    its funny to read :-)

    Have a nice evening !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, interesting list. I thought that advocacy view was very interesting.

    Happy TT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOAH!!! Some of these words could be used for Quilly's Three Word Thursday. It's like a whole new language LOL Have fun studying :) What is beyond reason to me is why the mpakafo can't just be called the Malagasy vampire? LOL Have a great week what's left of it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've been doing some intense reading. Even the glossary is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anya, how about the mpakafo? lol!

    Tracie, I thought so too

    Thom, I feel my brains disintegrating everytime I write mpakafo. Can't pronounce it either, lol!

    Alice, I find them interesting too, thus they ended up becoming my T13 today :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm, Allen's rule must have happened to my feet. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The advocacy view sounds quite interesting. informative list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, and I thought I had a fairly decent vocabularly. Whew! Great list.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would benef

Dyslexics and Developmental Pediatricians

Let me begin with an observation on the latter.  Developmental pediatricians in the Philippines are a rare breed. Or that's what I noticed. From society and organization websites, to forums, to word-of-mouth, to my own experience, they seem to be outnumbered by people who need their expertise. A parent of a child with developmental delays has to wait weeks or months to see one developmental pediatrician. Only thirty are listed on the Philippine Society of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. Twenty-five in one Filipino autism blog, and that is not purely DevPeds. A child psychologist, child psychiatrist, and pediatric neurologist are mixed in the list, although they certainly are a big help too. At my son's speech therapy and psychology center I hear the same account from other parents - securing a time slot with a DevPed is hard. They are all fully booked throughout what could turn into a year. You may be lucky if someone withdraws but that rarely happens. I'm playing

Honor, Awards and a Game

Tuesday Couch Potatoes: Made of Honor Awards and a Game/Meme follow. Please scroll down a bit. My pick for this week's TCP theme (wedding movie) is Made of Honor. I like the humor in it. We've all been to several weddings but how many of us can say I've been to one in which the maid of honor was a he? The scene which particularly cracked me up is when the priest mistook the maid of honor for a gay man =) If you're familiar with some of my likes, you'd know why I also love the Scotland location of the wedding. For more of the synopsis click here ; and here's the trailer: Head over to Just About Anything for more wedding movies. ************ My super duper bloggy friend Thom of Thom's Place for Well Whatever and fellow Mom Tetcha of Pensive Thoughts awarded me this Beautiful Blogger award. I have to list seven things about me so here they are: 1. I love wearing jeans more than skirts. 2. One of my favorite colors is purple. 3. I don't mind spending su