Skip to main content

My son is not spoiled

Small Talk Six: “6 ways you indulge or spoil your children.”
Join in here. Please scroll down for Weekend Funnies


Here's a little case background: Growing up I was as disciplined by my mother as I was spoiled by my father. When I became a mom I chose to employ my mother's parenting style until divorce entered the scene. Full child custody has a price. With care-giving and developmental issues I ended up shuttling my son between 2 countries 5 times in less than 6 years. Through guilt and panic I struggle to make up for my sins >>>

1. There's this rule I set for myself to follow a certain budget each month for all his expenses and NOT to buy anything beyond the budget. But when he suddenly wants a new bike, I break my own rule.

2. It's usually during overseas trips that I indulge him the most. On a cruise in Hong Kong recently, I let him goof with my mini-tiara and play with my diamond ring eventhough I am aware of his penchant for throwing things when bored and he could toss those accessories out the yacht any minute.

3. Echoing no. 1, I buy him a toy I don't expect to buy. At a Victoria Peak shop he spotted a clone of the Ultraman doll he was carrying in his left hand and demanded to have the clone. I gave in to prevent a simmering tantrum.

4. Being a picky eater, sky becomes the limit when there's something he particularly fancies. As he would rather starve than eat what he doesn't like, and I am not a good cook, I take him to restaurants regularly and let him be the boss over the menu.

5. He dominates my computer; draws monkeys on my research printouts. I close my eyes to work that is put on hold.

6. I let him resist shower, tooth-brushing and bedtime longer than I should because I don't have time to argue and heck I need to go to work.

See, he isn't spoiled. God I got homework.

**********************************

Weekend Funnies: Fact of the Week
Join co-hosts Shakira and Gattina

You're not the only fan of TGIF ---

(Thanks again Mareng for this fun)
Happy Saturday, friends!

Comments

  1. Stopping by from MomDots Small Talk Six...LOL you made me Laugh out Loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katie, perhaps guilt sometimes makes one funny :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. That joke about the calendar is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, Hazel..I never thought of that...think the fever just fried my brain too.LOL

    I hope your son will be well soon.
    Jasmine has Nephrotic Syndrome which is a kidney disorder. She had it when she was 18 months then was having a remission for 10 years. So, MIRACLE does happen. It is tough on all of us but accepting the situation makes it easier and more comforting.

    I am sure YOU and CJ will be just fine...remember you are never alone?

    take care of you?

    my prayers and hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha...
    my youngest has a tshirt that says

    "I am not a spoiled brat,
    just well taken care of."

    and she wears it so proudly too.LOL

    hugs
    shakira

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Shakira, so sorry about your daughter but I'm glad there are miracles. Stay strong. Now I see how "You Are Never Alone" is so apt :)

    I wonder if that shirt your youngest owns is sold somewhere here. It would fit CJ perfectly :) These shirt manufacturers just know where to hit parents ... lol

    Thanks for the visit, Muah!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the things we moms will do just to keep the peace at time! Great ( and funny) list!

    Stopping by from momdot

    ReplyDelete
  8. my daughter is also addicted to our computer and pretty things!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mine dominates my phone and I always use her as excuses to put off housework. Why clean when you can play?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think CJ is one of the luckiest little one's around. I say bending rules is norm. That's why rules are in place. To bend and break them if you ask me. Makes life much more interesting that way. But when they are broken there is always the time when you need to follow them and discipline as well. Hard balance. Shoot I'd be at a restaurant every day as well. I'm a lousy cook as well. Get hives in the kitchen LOL. Love the joke. I can't believe I've never seen or thought of that before. Too funny :) Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tena, isn't it amazing and sometimes downright crazy? lol

    Hi Katie, guess most kids are nowadays. And she's addicted to pretty things? I want a daughter like that!

    Hi Butterfly, I agree :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Thom, I agree it's a hard balance. I take it one day at a time :) and the joke, I thot it's old news to you... lol!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have to laugh about the days of the week, did not realize that!

    Of course, CJ deserves the best, being the only kid! I did anything for my kid, too. hehehehe mantinir lang ta ug no name brands, unya ilaha levis, heheheh!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ate Eb, neither did I... korek jud ang mga brands. pag abot ni cj straight - straight na akong ka mantinir lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THANK YOU from the bottom of our hearts!

Tacloban . It's where I spent two months of great adventure with college buddies at about the same age as the young adult artists in this video  We Are The World for Philippines ( Cover by Filipino Artsts ) This is the church where I served as piano accompanist for the 1990 summer student choir, and some of the services. According to reports it was filled with dead bodies when this shot was taken. Photo Courtesy: AUP Network on FB On Saturday, November 24th, Central World management (the former WTC Bangkok) lent space for a Haiyan fundraiser without charge. I'd like to commemorate the highlights:   One Voice: Help Haiyan Victims was a serendipity. Organizing events is something I had to pay money to study in grad school. But it was live learning right there that night and observing the process was free. Skywatch : Mission Tacloban The Bangkok Charity Orchestra   reflected tranquility in their music. Poor typhoon victims would benef

Dyslexics and Developmental Pediatricians

Let me begin with an observation on the latter.  Developmental pediatricians in the Philippines are a rare breed. Or that's what I noticed. From society and organization websites, to forums, to word-of-mouth, to my own experience, they seem to be outnumbered by people who need their expertise. A parent of a child with developmental delays has to wait weeks or months to see one developmental pediatrician. Only thirty are listed on the Philippine Society of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. Twenty-five in one Filipino autism blog, and that is not purely DevPeds. A child psychologist, child psychiatrist, and pediatric neurologist are mixed in the list, although they certainly are a big help too. At my son's speech therapy and psychology center I hear the same account from other parents - securing a time slot with a DevPed is hard. They are all fully booked throughout what could turn into a year. You may be lucky if someone withdraws but that rarely happens. I'm playing

Honor, Awards and a Game

Tuesday Couch Potatoes: Made of Honor Awards and a Game/Meme follow. Please scroll down a bit. My pick for this week's TCP theme (wedding movie) is Made of Honor. I like the humor in it. We've all been to several weddings but how many of us can say I've been to one in which the maid of honor was a he? The scene which particularly cracked me up is when the priest mistook the maid of honor for a gay man =) If you're familiar with some of my likes, you'd know why I also love the Scotland location of the wedding. For more of the synopsis click here ; and here's the trailer: Head over to Just About Anything for more wedding movies. ************ My super duper bloggy friend Thom of Thom's Place for Well Whatever and fellow Mom Tetcha of Pensive Thoughts awarded me this Beautiful Blogger award. I have to list seven things about me so here they are: 1. I love wearing jeans more than skirts. 2. One of my favorite colors is purple. 3. I don't mind spending su