08 December 2014
01 April 2014
This is Punta Isla, one of several resorts around the lake. I hear it is popular. Most tourists flock here to have brunch and relax after visiting other sightseeing spots like the seven waterfalls or riding a zip line.
28 January 2014
Ever tried going around looking for something you fancy eating in a downpour? Life in the slow lane. You can afford time to do what you want the way you want it. It was like stepping back into a world where deadlines don't exist. No alarm clocks. No meetings. Just friendly vendors selling fruits under trees in front of their houses.
27 January 2014
21 January 2014
i. Everything smells fresh
iii. In the afternoon, grey skies appear again. But as a pluviophile I have fun thinking, "ta-ta it looks like rain..."
The next day I sort out a little problem with my passport. Having it replaced takes time. I re-book my return flight to Bangkok twice. This 'glitch' is causing issues at my job though I choose to be optimistic. Whatever happens I hope I am ready.
iv. So here comes Mr. Helpful of the Department of Foreign Affairs. He appeals my case in the Manila office and apologizes profusely for the delay although it's not his fault. That is enough for me. I am grateful for the positive attitude, and I celebrate that with a choco harmony treat.
v. I'd like to share these words, and a picture that my inner world relates with.
help me to create more laughter than tears.
Never let me become so indifferent,
that I will fail to see the wonder in the eyes of a child.
Never let me forget that my total effort is to cheer people,
make them forget, at least momentarily, the unpleasantness in their lives,
and in my final moment, may I hear You whisper:
"'When you made My people smile, you made Me smile.'" ~ Unknown
20 January 2014
"Apart from its white sand beaches, Boracay is also famous for being one of the world's top destinations for relaxation. It is also emerging among the top destinations for tranquility and nightlife." (Wikipedia)
12 November 2013
"I know the incredible resiliency of the Filipino people, and I am confident that the spirit of Bayanihan will see you through this tragedy."Bayanihan, a word I never heard, used nor thought of in quite awhile, more or less two decades. It's nice to be reminded of a reference to 'communal unity and cooperation.' Honestly I don't remember being ever seriously sure what resilience really means until I gaped in horror at the TV this weekend. Let me reflect a bit:
I have great memories of adventure in Tacloban, an island city hit the worst by Haiyan. Happy to be out of boarding school for the summer, Tacloban was the perfect place for an 18 year-old to explore. But now aside from not having any photos of my own, I don't think anyone needs more scenes resembling the end of the world. Instead I'm posting something reflective of the hope that my poor country is put to right again soon.
Samal is one of those areas under Signal 1 after tropical depression Zoraida moves closer to Mindanao. Oh no... not Mindanao! Haven't we enough bombings and kidnappings there already? :(
21 May 2013
"if a vessel is required to stop for a coastguard inspection in its national (usually 12mile) limit, and refuses to do so the coastguard is entitled to take such action as is necessary to stop the vessel. If it does not stop after a warning [shop], it seems fully justified to fire on the vessel.... If someone gets shot it is the fault of the skipper of the offending vessel.... So if this is the case it would seem to me that the person the Taiwanese government should be venting its anger has a Taiwanese travel document"
A former schoolmate's fantasy of the Philippines' first line of defense got me googling and then supposing that there's nothing noticeable enough. Chihuahua :( But then the matter of war could be a long shot for the golden retriever. My hands grip the leash as I walk away and turn my attention to something sea-ish, like ships, the cargo, tanker, normal ones.
Join me in my little boat trip to Sichang, a tourist island in the gulf of Thailand, and see some ships.
07 May 2013
Finally after thirty-one years two weeks ago I saw the place for myself; people conducted business in front, and not inside as I worried. It was also my first time to set foot on a Roman Catholic church since Grandpa's funeral mass in the mid 1990s.
25 January 2013
21 January 2013
05 December 2012
- the flowers at the center of inflorescence are the youngest
- the lower of outer flowers bloom first
- geranium, milkweed and onion have umbels
- umbels come from latin umbella, meaning a sunshade (does 'umbrella' come to mind?)
I thought I would skip this week's U word, until I looked around to find examples of umbels and found a photo to show. As lantanas mature they change color "resulting in inflorescences (group or cluster of flowers on a stem) that are two- or three-colored." I found these lantanas along a pavement in a memorial park; I was visiting my father's grave in the Philippines
And these are lantanas along a pavement too, in Bangkok. I noticed them on my way to work one morning.
10 October 2010
Scroll down for Sunday Stealing
The is the fruit stand in Kablon, a barangay near Dole, the pineapple giant. I bought loads of avocados. They're quite pricey in Bangkok. Whereas in SC 5 USD go a long way.
We made several stops on our way home from the airport. This watermelon stand is in Gensan.
Luckily, people at home are fruit eaters. It's no fun to eat alone.
Click here for more OWM.
Today we ripped this meme of a blogger known as Nigel Vanstone at Away for a Bit. Nigel explains that he was tagged to do the meme, but does not credit the blogger. But, it was probably stolen there as well. So, of course, that will be as far as we go. Tracing back our theft's thieves might take some time. He promises to post the next 25 questions, soon. If he writes them by next Saturday, we will complete his meme. Link back to us at Sunday Stealing!
Cheers to all of us thieves!
1. When you looked at yourself in the mirror today, what was the first thing you thought? tell me who's the fairest of all
2. How much cash do you have on you? tang mot leaw (cash gone)
3. What’s a word that rhymes with DOOR? FLOOR "and if I have to crawl upon the floor or come crashing thru your door..." Reo's forgotten what he'd started fighting for
4. Favorite planet? If I spent a month in Uranus, a month in Neptune, the next month in Jupiter... only then would I know which was my fave
5. Who is the 4th person on your missed call list on your cell phone? Bob Hope
6. What is your favorite ring tone on your phone? Trill.aac
7. What shirt are you wear[ing]? I'm not wearing a shirt right now
8. Do you label yourself? no
9. Name the brand of the shoes you’re currently wearing? They're all in the office; can't remember the different brands
10. Bright or Dark Room? it depends
11. Did you do anything to celebrate John Lennon's 70th yesterday? Imagine, "you may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one" So that's what I saw Yoko Ono, Sir Paul, etc on Larry King yesterday for...
12. What does your watch look like? it's got a tiny inscription that says "don't worry, be happy"
13. What were you doing at midnight last night? feeding on my Twilight fix
14. What did your last text message you received on your cell say? You have 4 missed calls
15. Where is your nearest 7-11? down the bend
16. What’s a word that you say a lot? methinks I am in heaven above
17. Who told you he/she loved you last? lol! how corny
18. Last furry thing you touched?
19. How many drugs have you done in the last three days? none
20. How many rolls of film do you need developed? I don't get this
21. Favorite age you have been so far? 19
22. Your worst enemy? boredom
23. What is your current desktop picture (extra points if you post it.)?
my part-time religion
24. What was the last thing you said to someone? sweet dreams
25. If you had to choose between a million bucks or to be able to fly what would it be? I nothing.